UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Job Purpose and Organizational Context
UNDP is the knowledge frontier organization for sustainable development in the UN Development System and serves as the integrator for collective action to realize the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). UNDP’s policy work carried out at HQ, Regional and Country Office levels, forms a contiguous spectrum of deep local knowledge to cutting-edge global perspectives and advocacy. In this context, UNDP invests in the Global Policy Network (GPN), a network of field-based and global technical expertise across a wide range of knowledge domains and in support of the signature solutions and organizational capabilities envisioned in the Strategic Plan.
Within the GPN, the Crisis Bureau guides UNDP’s corporate crisis-related strategies and vision for crisis prevention, response and recovery. The Bureau has the responsibility for support to prevention, crisis response, resilience, recovery and peacebuilding work under the auspices of UNDP’s Strategic Plan. As part of the Global Policy Network (GPN), the Crisis Bureau works in an integrated manner with UNDP’s Bureau for Policy and Programme Support (BPPS) ensuring that issues are fully integrated into UNDP’s development programmes.
The Peacebuilding Advisor for Asia and Pacific is based in the Bangkok Regional Hub, leading the Peace work (with linkages to Governance portfolio), and reporting to the Bangkok Regional Hub Manager with a secondary reporting line to the Head of the Conflict Prevention, Peacebuilding and Responsive Institutions (CPPRI) in New York as part of the Global Policy Network.
The Peacebuilding Advisor will be the lead expert in the peacebuilding knowledge domain. S/he works closely a team of specialists in this area based in the Regional Hub. S/he will provide coordination and intellectual and strategic leadership as well as technical guidance on Peacebuilding issues for the overall “Peace” architecture of the GPN structure at the regional level, coordinating closely with the global Governance team in BPPS, as well as the Rule of Law, Security and Human Rights global team in CB and GPN teams. S/he will represent UNDP in the wider governance, peacebuilding and conflict prevention community of practice, including with UN system, bilateral partners, external experts, etc.
The Peacebuilding Advisor will work in collaboration with the programme and policy teams in the Bangkok Regional Hub, that includes also the SDG Integration Team, the Regional Innovation Centre, Country Accelerator Labs, SDG Finance Team, and the HQ, Country Offices, Global Policy Centers, and rosters of external advisors. S/he is responsible for leading the provision of technical expertise and policy and programme advisory services to Country Offices, supports the implementation of the regional programme and, where appropriate, with key UN and external partners. S/he responds to requests from Country Offices under the guidance of the Regional Hub Manager, and in collaboration with corporate support providers, such as the GPN Country Support Management Team, Crisis and Fragility Engagement and Policy Team and the SDG integrator Team. Working to ensure quality and coherent policy and programme advisory services within their region and across other regions, as well as alignment with the Strategic Plan, Peacebuilding Advisor advances the credibility and recognition of UNDP’s capabilities in this knowledge domain and associated community of practice.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key functions:
- Substantive leadership and quality assurance of policy advisory services;
- Coordination and delivery of technical assistance, policy development and programme support;
- Substantive leadership for content development and curation of tools and resources, from across UNDP’s network of expertise;
- Knowledge management and community of practice networking;
- Representation, advocacy, and partner engagement for effective policy; positioning in the region;
- Team management.
1. Substantive leadership and quality assurance of policy advisory services
- Lead in articulating entry points and/or pivotal considerations for integrating peacebuilding and conlict prevention with governance within regional and country-specific strategies for achievin g the SDGs;
- Provide technical oversight to the team providing specialized and/or high-profile support on policy advisory and programming services primarily to COs within the region, that respond to country office needs, including through the provision of capacity building and backstopping to COs and UNCTs;
- Work with the Regional Bureau’s Country Advisors to ensure relevant, timely and multi-disciplinary response to Country needs for policy services;
- Collaborate substantively with COs and Regional Programmes to achieve regional/CO strategic goals and plans by supporting relevant regional initiatives and promoting synergies with the regional programmes;
- Provide specialized and/or high-profile support to high priority COs in project design, planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and results reporting in line with RBM guidelines, and support quality assurance, risk management and due diligence processes;
- Ensure risks are monitored and managed across the portfolio of advisory engagements;
- Create and facilitate opportunities for developing the capacity of national counterparts in support of achieving the Strategic Plan and other internationally agreed development goals as it relates to the peacebuilding and governance knowledge domain.
- Provide policy advisory and programming services to COs in other regions received through the GPN;
- Provide substantive inputs in the development of UNDP’s policies for the thematic area and contribute to the formulation of global policy products.
2. Coordination and delivery of technical assistance, policy development and programme support
- Receive and coordinate peacebuilding and prevention requests for CO programme and policy support, assess nature of request and conduct technical review, determine if the request necessitates a multi-disciplinary response and accordingly coordinate with relevant teams in both Regional Hubs and HQ, and define package of support in collaboration with corporate stakeholders and the GPN network;
- Coordinate the engagement of regional policy advisors / technical experts who are part of the SDG Integrator cadre for advisory services in governance and peacebuilding, as per scoping agreements;
Act as quality assurance and standard setter in the:
- o Delivery of services with Policy and Programme Support Advisors in the Regional Hub and HQ advisors;
- o Prioritization, planning and fielding of missions, in collaboration with other GPN teams, for assessment and programmatic design and follow-up at country level;
- o Development of substantive caliber, coherent and results-focused programmes and regular reporting of results achieved
- Manage annual work plan (including mission plans and budget) in line with the Regional Bureau and the Crisis Bureau priorities, as well as UNDP standards and procedures;
- Determine if financial assistance is required and accordingly to facilitate a plan of action and to coordinate approvals as required.
3. Substantive leadership for content development and curation of tools and resources, from across UNDP’s network of expertise
- Provide intellectual and strategic direction in identifying tools, developing methodologies and producing knowledge management products linked to crisis-related governance and peacebuilding, including migration and displacement;
- Provide direction on the content development for regional/CO knowledge products through the analysis of data, case evidence, and research findings in accordance with corporate standards;
- Lead the identification and prioritization of technical issues warranting collaboration with HQ and regional teams to research, develop and share knowledge-based tools, such as policy positions/practice notes/concept papers and other research-based products to influence/advance policy dialogue in the knowledge domain and present UNDP’s knowledge assets and capabilities at global and regional forums;
- Work closely with CPPRI and other substantive teams in HQ to curate and sharpen the research, testing and roll-out of newly commissioned policy/business development initiatives, by providing the regional perspective/specificities as well as experience-based insights on what is of most practical value for national counterparts and regional leaders;
- Design and deliver specialized training on programming tools including by developing training packs for COs to facilitate innovation learning, foster and encourage policy innovation and continuous improvement to enhance programme delivery.
4. Knowledge management and community of practice networking
- Contribute to and coordinate knowledge generation and management, including through the UNDP Communities of Practice to position UNDP as a knowledge provider on governance and peacebuilding;
- Critically review and curate regional data, case evidence and research findings to distill pivotal lessons for UNDP globally and to translate substantive learning into organizational agility;
- Advocate and enable South-South facilitation of exchanges and experiences sharing where valuable;
- Oversight of capacity development of UNDP staff in application of tools and practices;
- Development and strengthening of linkages with peacebuilding and governance community of practice, both inside and outside of the UN system.
5. Representation, advocacy, and partner engagement for effective policy positioning in the region
- Represent UNDP to advocate core organizational messages and positions in high-profile arenas to position UNDP to influence the policy direction in the region, including within relevant sub-regional organizations;
- Advocate the application of ground-breaking peacebuilding and governance approaches, especially as an integrated approach to achieving the SDGs, in various regional and country fora with a view to deepen related political commitment and related reforms;
- Represent UNDP within engagements in interagency coordination in conflict prevention, peacebuilding and governance policy areas;
- Act as a pivotal resource in shaping the relationship management of regional partners and resource mobilization in line with the Regional Bureau and Global Policy Network priorities, as well as with corporate guidelines;
- Articulate and enable pathways for mobilizing and fostering external partnerships behind regional initiatives;
- Manage the building of strategic alliances and partnerships, especially with key think tanks and non-governmental organizations;
- Ensure UNDP/ Representation at inter-agency meetings, academic conferences, donor consultations and other events;
- On behalf of UNDP in the region, manage joint initiatives with UN system, in particular the Department of Political and Peacebuilding Affairs (DPPA);
- Leverage and enable mutual support and engagement between UNDP advisors / programme managers and country-based and regional Peace and Development Advisors/Specialists.
6. Team Management
- Lead and manage staff in the formulation and implementation of the substantive work plan and oversee staff accountability;
- Ensure that the technical capacity of staff managed is optimally aligned with business needs and that team members are encouraged to seek new client opportunities and amplify the value and reputation of UNDP;
- Encourage staff to critically assess themselves against emerging trends and thinking in the profession;
- Ensure that Performance Assessments are carried out according to UNDP procedures;
- Establish and maintain an enabling environment for harmonious working relationships and team-building, by promoting consistent and constructive communication, open information sharing, and coordination among all staff;
- Ensure that the work is conducted in accordance with relevant business processes and that high-quality outputs are delivered on time.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
- Ability to persuade others to follow.
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement.
Peacebuilding and Reconciliation
- Ability to support peace processes to facilitate recovery and development.
Conflict Prevention, Peacebuilding
- Translates substantive expertise in conflict prevention concepts and principles and ability into corporate strategy and programmes.
Core Government Functions
- Substantive expertise in core government functions and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations in different development situations
- Ability to productively share UNDP knowledge and activities (at UN and other venues).
- Ability to identify and organize programmes and projects to implement solutions and generate resources.
Collaboration & Partnerships
- Ability to develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships with others inside (Programmes/projects) or outside the organization who can provide information, assistance, and support.
Management & Coordination
- Ability to manage and coordinate campaigns and people with inspiration. Believe in and promote diversity in the workplace and reshaping the workforce to meet need.
Required Skills and Experience
- A Master's degree, preferably in international development, law, international affairs, peace and conflict studies, development economics, business administration, or other relevant field, or extensive compensating experience in Governance and Peacebuilding.
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant experience in either public sectors (national or multilateral, including UN), private (academia, non-governmental sector, corporate), with increasing level of responsibility;
- Proven track record in the areas of governance, conflict prevention, human rights and peacebuilding, including in crisis and fragile contexts;
- Proven track record in management and leadership roles;
- Extensive experience of programming; partnership development and resource mobilization;
- Excellent coordination, negotiating and communication skills and ability to mobilize support from a wide range of partners (public, private, academic, civil society, business community leaders).
- English proficiency, second UN language is considered an asset but not required.
Important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders)
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.