The Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) Regional Evidence for Migration Analysis and Policy
(REMAP) – Asia and the Middle East is a project funded by the European Union and
implemented by the International Organization for Migration (IOM). The main objective of the
project is to strengthen the evidence-based formulation and implementation of humanitarian and
development policy and programming on migration and forced displacement in Afghanistan,
Bangladesh, Iran, Iraq and Pakistan through the use of IOM’s existing methodology and
platform of DTM.
Under the overall guidance of the Senior Regional Emergency and Post-Crisis Specialist, and
the direct supervision of the Senior Regional Project Manager (Displacement Tracking Matrix
(DTM)) - Regional Evidence for Migration Analysis and Policy (REMAP) based in the Regional
Office for Asia and the Pacific (ROAP) in Bangkok, Thailand, the successful candidate will be
responsible for the development, implementation and maintenance of databases and
information systems for the DTM REMAP project.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Develop, implement and administer an integrated regional DTM REMAP information
management system to gather and process information required for the DTM REMAP
2. Provide necessary support to DTM REMAP Country Offices (CO) to develop ad-hoc database
systems for DTM REMAP operations or project implementation purposes as necessary, such as
surveys and field data collection; provide recommendations for further technology integration
possibilities upon the implementation of the developed system.
3. In close collaboration with the Senior Regional Project Manager (DTM REMAP), ROAP and
DTM REMAP CO, develop, implement and maintain DTM REMAP knowledge management
repositories aimed at supporting project implementation and national and regional policy making
and humanitarian or development planning. Assist in improving DTM REMAP data collection
procedures and formats and their standardization. Follow-up with CO to facilitate data
exchange, as required.
4. Assist in information processing and data analysis. Propose data flow processes relevant to
the effective collection, storage, processing, analysis and reporting of DTM REMAP data.
Provide recommendations for further technological integration possibilities upon the
implementation of developed systems. Ensure the implementation of IOM data protection
standards and good practices at all stages of systems development.
5. Support the design of DTM REMAP data collection tools and data entry tools (including
6. Conduct tests, on already developed databases, to check the effectiveness, integrity,
relevance, internal and external consistency, and validity of the database system and its data,
and check compatibility with the Geographic Information System (GIS) that will be developed in
7. Conduct technical and information-sharing meetings to develop the capacity of relevant staff
and the stakeholders; provide training to the intended users of the database systems. Assist in
documenting, developing and delivering user manuals and training programmes for the
developed databases and systems.
8. Ensure the required performance of the developed databases and systems to prevent and
minimize downtime or service interruptions through daily monitoring, completion of proper
backups, data validation and security procedures.
9. As required, provide remote or onsite technical support for all DTM REMAP project countries
as necessary in relation to the implementation of the developed databases and systems.
10. Coordinate regularly with the Global DTM Support team to facilitate interoperability of global
systems and adherence to global standards.
11. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Software Development, or a
related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional
- University degree in above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience with the management of databases and information systems including design,
development, implementation, and maintenance;
- Extensive knowledge and experience of desktop application programming (VB .Net is an
advantage), and database management system (required SQL Server, MySQL is an
- Extensive experience and knowledge of contents management system packages, open-source
- Extensive knowledge and experience of Microsoft Office Suite software and languages
(Access, Excel/VBA, Word, etc) is an advantage.
- Knowledge in advanced data visualization and information design skills is an advantage.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of any of
the following languages:
Arabic, Farsi, Pashto, Bengali, Urdu, Spanish and/or French is an
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process,
which may include written and/or oral assessments.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural
differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner
consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed
manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve
shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely
manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes
responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains
complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the
ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling
environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and
communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations.
Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain
eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in
the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are
nationals of the duty station’s country and who do not have prior experience outside the duty
station’s country as staff member in the Professional category cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment,
accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No
late applications will be accepted.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment
system, by 03 March 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment
system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to:
From 18.02.2021 to 03.03.2021
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview,
processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank